Bryan Howard is a co-founding member of Howard Mobley Hayes & Gontarek, PLLC. Bryan assists high net-worth families with wealth transfer planning, tax reduction planning, charitable giving and asset protection planning. He also advises the owners of closely-held businesses with respect to tax and business succession issues and represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries with regard to trust and estate administration and litigation issues.
Bryan is certified as an Estate Planning Specialist in Tennessee, has been certified as an Estate Planning Law Specialist by the Estate Law Specialist Board, Inc., and is an Accredited Estate Planner. Bryan is listed in the Best Lawyers in America (2001-2015 editions) in the Tax, Trusts and Estates, and Litigation – Trust and Estates categories, has been listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers, has been selected as one of the top 100 U.S. Lawyers by Worth Magazine, has been selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Tax Law by Corporate Counsel magazine, and has been selected by Business Tennessee magazine as one of the best trusts and estates lawyers in Tennessee. Bryan has the AV rating (highest available) for ethical standards and legal ability from Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review ratings system.
Bryan frequently lectures and writes on estate planning and taxation topics. Recent articles include: “Non-Reciprocal Spousal Trusts” presented to the American Institute on Federal Taxation in 2013, “If You Don’t Like This Trust, Why Not Decant to a Better One?” presented to the Louisville Estate Planning Council in 2013, “Trust Me-Your Irrevocable Trust Can Be Modified Without Going to Court” co-presented with Christy Reid to ACTEC in 2012; and “Fixing Broken Trusts: The Uniform Trust Code and Other Tools” published in the Journal of Taxation of Investments in 2008. Bryan can be reached by email at email@example.com.
- Estate planning
- Tax law
- Estate and trust litigation
- Business succession planning
- Charitable planning
- Estate administration
- Fellow and Tennessee State Chairman, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Numerous legislative activities, including, principal draftsman of the Tennessee Community Property Trust Act of 2010, the Tennessee Investment Services Trust Act of 2007, Member of Committee which drafted Tennessee Uniform Trust Code (2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013) and Member of Tennessee Bar Association’s Probate Study Committee, which reviews and recommends legislation involving trusts and estates in Tennessee
- Former Chairman (1994 & 2006), Estate Planning Committee, Nashville Bar Association
- Former Chairman (2004), Tax Committee, Nashville Bar Association
- Member of American Bar Association, Tennessee Bar Assoication, and Nashville Bar Association
- B.S., Business Administration, University of California at Berkeley, 1979
- J.D., Vanderbilt University, 1983
- L.L.M., Taxation, University of Florida, 1984
- Admitted to bar in Tennessee, 1983
Civic and Other Activities
- NOA Foundation, LLC – Board Member
- Estate Law Specialist Board, Inc. – Board Member